Thursday, August 19, 2010

First week of School

Hello Everyone,

Well Leah and I had our First, First day of school as teachers!! How exciting it was. The whole day was quite surreal for me in many ways. I`m sure a lot of other teachers or friends can relate to starting a new job and having a great first day and thinking this is just surreal, I`m getting paid to do this. We arrived early to school with a different couple. How early you might ask well how about 6:10AM early. Now you are wondering what time does school start? 8:00 AM. Talk about being early. For all of you who think I can’t be early for anything, eat it!! HAHAHA. Leah went to her room I went to my office and tried working on different things. I had already transferred the equipment I was going to use to the gym and was excited to get in there and set everything up. One catch, the gym is not just a gym and I have no key for the gym so I had to wait until 7:30 to get into the gym. Good thing I was early right. My first class was a bomb. First grade- they showed up 10-12 minutes late and one boy was crying his eyes out. I tried doing a name game with the students, but they were all so shy I couldn’t hear anything they said. Being a reflective person, I decided maybe I’ll do a fun activity with them that will loosen them up. I tried doing the name game bopiddty bop bop. Again the bombs fell. I can’t tell you how happy I was for the first class to be done. My second class was a third grade class with many returning students and they were a ball of energy. I had a lot of fun with them and was thankful that something I planned went decent. I have a short 20 minute break then another two classes. My 5th grade class was really chatty and didn’t want to listen to each other. They have the reputation of being that group that all of the teachers cringe at. I made it through that class without any major problems. The next class was Leah’s 4th grade class and what a delight they were. Really the type of kids where you can give them a challenge and they will work together to complete it and there are a couple of kids in there that understand how to sacrifice something so the group can succeed. They were my last class and a wonderful way to end my teaching for my first day. After teaching I have back to back recess duties which can be a little crazy. I ref the 5th and 4th grade boys soccer on the first recess and then teach first and second graders different tag games they can play. They really enjoy chasing me! I then get lunch around 12:35 and do prep stuff for the rest of the day. I really like my schedule, at least so far. Well I got to go, but I’ll make another post soon.

1 comment:

  1. You tried bipidty bop with 1st graders? lol they probably thought you were crazy!!! :) oh, and I'm pretty sure you are going to be an early person from now on, because you have an amazing fiance who will keep you in line! Miss you! Love you! I'm so glad you had such a great day of school! -Kari

    ReplyDelete